Thursday, October 20, 2011

From The Kitchen Of ... Me!

Two standout recipes this week - yesterday I made Pork Chops Hongroise with herbed noodles and green beans, and today's dinner was Red Wine Crockpot Roast with mashed potatoes and corn.

The Pork Chops Hongroise was my favorite of the two - I highly recommend it if you like paprika (which I do)! I made it as instructed by the recipe, with one exception - I broiled the pork chops for a minute on each side at the end, for a little bit more color. The sauce was delicious but you may need to add more salt to taste.

The Red Wine Crockpot Roast was super easy, as usual for slow cooker recipes. I used a cheap red wine - there is never a need to use cooking wine, it's really just oversalted swill and is normally higher in price than a budget drinking wine, plus you have the leftovers for later. The sauce did not thicken up like a gravy, but more like au jus (as mentioned in the recipe) but it was very flavorful and went well with the mashed potatoes. I did add a bit more salt to this at the end, as the meat had soaked up the original amount added.






No comments:

Post a Comment