Sunday, September 11, 2011

Birthday Countdown 2009

Today's song was sung on a reality show early in 2009 by a woman who would become that year's highest selling artist. Of course it's I Dreamed A Dream, performed by Susan Boyle.

The story of Les Miserables has been around for a century and a half and has been adapted into many movies over the years. The stage musical opened in France in 1980, and then in London, in the more common English version, in 1985. It's one of the most successful and also most depressing shows ever, and the music is thrilling and beautiful. In this selection, the character Fantine reflects on her life and thinks back to happier times just before dying, (SPOILER!)

Why do I like it? It's perhaps the best song in a wonderful score, and never fails to move me, evidently even when I am singing it!

About my version - I've listened to this song for over 20 years, but as it is sung by a French woman driven to prostitution to care for her young daughter, it's not exactly in my repertoire (I'm American). I chose to sing it in a higher key as it is written for an alto, and I am not on of those either. I found myself having a special moment at the end of the song. I also cry at Hallmark and Folgers commercials, and during the last episodes of MASH and Roseanne. So sue me :-)  Anyway - I'd sing this again with some more practice if the opportunity arose. 7.5 out of 10.



Tomorrow - 2 more days! 5 songs on the list, but I'm open to suggestions.....

No comments:

Post a Comment