Thursday, September 1, 2011

Birthday Countdown 1999

Mariah Carey is at the top of my list of favorite singers, and I especially like her covers of other people's songs. She writes her own music much of the time, but every now and again she throws in a cover. Oddly enough, these are often lite-rock songs originally sung by men, such as Open Arms, Without You, and most recently I Want To Know What Love Is.

Her version of the Phil Collins hit song Against All Odds is one of my favorites - my favorite being the cover of Bringing On The Heartbreak. While AAO was not a hit here in the US, it was a minor hit around the world. The British boy band Westlife was added to the track after its original release to pull in younger audiences, because as ridiculous as it sounds, Mariah was considered old for the pop music business at age 30.



Why do I like it? Of the Phil Collins oeuvre, this is perhaps my favorite song. As I do not care for him, that's faint praise, but I do think Mariah's version is one of her finest vocal performances. Her signature upper register is not used in this song, so she is able to give a more full-throated performance without fear of vocal wear and tear.

About my version - This is very low for me at the beginning but I think I sound ok - I can't really project the sound down there, so it's just not a register I sing in normally. There are momentary octave jumps that are more comfortable for me, and then a little high belting at the end that's sloppy in execution, but overall I like it a lot. I would do this one again as well, with a bit of modulation perhaps. 7.5 out of 8.



Tomorrow - 2000 already?? Where does the time go? Any song ideas?

No comments:

Post a Comment