Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Birthday Countdown 1998

I met Mike in 1998, so today I'm going to ruin, I mean perform, a song by one of his favorite groups :-)

Back 2 Good comes from Matchbox Twenty's debut, originally released in 1996. The path to success was a bit rocky, but by 1998 when Back 2 Good hit the radio (#24) the album was selling well, eventually being certified 12 times platinum (over 12 million sold).

Why do I like it? It's not my favorite Matchbox Twenty/Rob Thomas song, but it's ballad-ish and the lyrics are really good.

About my version - This wasn't so much of a disaster as I had expected. I do lose control of the song sometime in the middle but wrestle it into submission by the end. I'm not extremely familiar with this one, but with some more exposure to the original, I would actually do this for karaoke. 7 out of 10.



Tomorrow - I'm gonna party like it's 1999, but I can't sing that Prince song because it came out in 1982.

No comments:

Post a Comment