Thursday, August 4, 2011

Birthday Countdown 1971

Boy, that was a long time ago! How has it been 40 years when I am just 29? Don't argue with my math, please...

My song for this first year is A Case of You by Joni Mitchell. I first came to know it through the late great Phoebe Snow's excellent rendition, and then later through Joni's various versions as well as kd lang's more recent cover.

Why do I like it? This song reminds me of me a lot - it's just like me to respond like a smartass when someone tells me how devoted they are. Also, the "I met a woman" lyric reminds me of Mike's mom, who I did meet just once before she passed, and she did have a mouth like Mike's.

About my version - None of the backing tracks available online pleased me, so this is a capella, which makes for a rough first video, que sera sera disclaimer blah blah blah. Also, I did not shave, I'm wearing what I slept in, and I generally look like a homeless person. Truth be told, I didn't even watch the video, I just listened to make sure it came out ok, so if I make weird faces please don't tell me :-) (Really, you must tell me)  There's about 5 notes I really wish I could change, based on my one-time listen of it. Also, my vowels are weird and I should have warmed up a bit. But overall I am quite pleased, or as happy as any singer ever is with their own work.

Based on what I heard, I'd give this a 6.2 out of 10. That's what I call Winning©!



Sneak peek of tomorrow - a crossover super-hit from 1972, covered often, that I will sing in Italian, because I can. (Maybe)

No comments:

Post a Comment