Saturday, August 27, 2011

Birthday Countdown 1994

Today's song comes at the request of my sister and sister-in-law, so you have them to blame!

Come To My Window won the Grammy for Best Female Rock Performance, but only reached #25 on the Hot 100 chart. I'm The Only One was a much bigger hit, reaching #8.

Why do I like it? Melissa Etheridge has a distinctive voice, which is something I look for. It's also a great song with one of the best bridges I've heard. The bridge section in musical terms is the middle section, that is musically and lyrically unlike the previous verses or chorus - in this song, it's the section starting with "I don't care what they think".

About my version - Boy, this is a low one! I can't say I'll sing this again with transposing it up about half an octave. But all in all this isn't the worst thing I've done. I do get lost after the bridge (perhaps I jumped off of it) but I wander in eventually. 6.5, maybe 6.8 of 10.



Tomorrow - So many choices - perhaps another double posting day!

No comments:

Post a Comment