Saturday, August 6, 2011

Birthday Countdown 1973

After the relative success of yesterday's video, we're back to the trainwreck today!

Jim Croce's Time in a Bottle is one of those songs that gets a bad rap for cheesiness but is not that bad. He was the third artist to hit the #1 spot of the Hot 100 after death - guess who were the first two?

Why do I like it? I like the sound of the almost-classical guitar accompaniment, and the sentiment of the lyrics is touching.

About my version - This is the only and only take I did of this song, and as such is pretty rough. Also, this is with no warm-up, which generally is a must to smooth out the rough edges. This song is so clearly not for me and I don't think it would improve a whole lot, so one take was enough. I lose the rhythm occasionally but find it after a bit, and it sits in a funny spot in my voice. I have no desire to sing this again, but I still like the song. This is maybe a 5 out of 10 at best. Based on the first three days, I'm thinking that the folky singer/songwriter genre is not for me!



Tomorrow's song preview - from a Broadway show and also a hit movie, not exactly a mainstream hit, normally sung by urban teenage girls or middle-aged divas. So it's just right for me LOL

2 comments: