Thursday, August 11, 2011

Birthday Countdown 1978

Introductory notes
  1. I have no disco-theme clothing items, which is normally a good thing, but they would have come in handy for today's video
  2. My enjoyment of dancing is in reverse proportion to my ability to dance.
  3. I am perhaps the most ridiculous and homo-rific thing ever, and I crack myself up sometimes. 
Tripod - check
Carnival T-shirt - check
Ugly dancing - check check check

Disco Inferno was actually released in 1976, but didn't become a hit until 1978, due to its inclusion on the Saturday Night Fever soundtrack. It's been remade by two of my favorite singers, Tina Turner and Cyndi Lauper, as well as many others. 

Why do I like it? It's a fun song with really evocative lyrics. I can see the disco inferno in my head very easily! Plus it's got a great beat.

About my version - I restrained myself from going into a full-blown disco fit, but I had to dance a little. How am I supposed to stay still?? So that's pretty hideous. I did do my signature dance move (the Madame Ne J'amais) toward the end. Feel free to incorporate it into your daily life. Also, at some point I became possessed by the spirit of Vicki Sue Robinson and ad-libbed like an asylum resident. One take was enough, as I was afraid that the disco inferno would burn that mother down. But I thoroughly enjoyed this one and would do it again at karaoke for sure. 7 of 10, with a score of .003 of 10 for the "dancing". 



Tomorrow - I have 8 options, so it's a toss-up which one it will be! 

4 comments:

  1. I gotta know... where you dancing while outside the camera's field of vision too???? This is great!!! (Although I'm sorry to say that Tina is still the best.) - Sherri

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL Yes I was, Sherri! I thought it best not to do all my best moves on film - I would hate for someone to steal them ;-)

    ReplyDelete