Friday, August 5, 2011

Birthday Countdown 1972

Yesterday was like pulling the Band-Aid off, so today's song feels light years better for me. Hopefully you will feel the same!

Roberta Flack's The First Time Ever I Saw Your Face has been sung a million times. My favorite recordings of it are the original, Celine Dion's, George Michael's, and more recently the Leona Lewis version. It's been done in Italian by classical crossover artists somewhat often as well. The beautiful legato melody lends itself to a more operatic style.

Why do I like it? The melody is fluid, simple and builds to a great climax. It's a pleasure to sing it.

About my version - We have a backing track! Actually I found two that I tried - the higher of the two led me to a tenor high C that just about killed me and made the cats run for cover. So I opted for the version a third-ish lower - you and your pets will thank me! I shaved (go me!) but I am wearing a black shirt - black shirts and orange cats do not mix, so I need a lint brush. My Italian is crap - that's a rusty skill too - but it's so much easier to sing in than English. Also, I completely clipped the end of the high note, which is not the way to do it! Still,  I VASTLY prefer this recording to yesterday's. This would be something I would love to continue to work on until all the bugs were out. I'd rate today's video a 7.5 out of 10.



Hint for tomorrow - It's not "The Way We Were", as I have sung that before many millions of times. It's actually a song sung and written by a guy! That's gonna be rare in this countdown.PS He's been dead a long time...

No comments:

Post a Comment