Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Birthday Countdown 1983

A photo of Boy George, for those of you not familiar with the ugly-hat stage of his career

A Halloween photo of me from 2004 or 2005


Karma Chameleon is perhaps the signature Culture Club song. It's not my favorite one - that's Victims, a song that was never released as a single here in the US. I would have sung Victims today, but A) it's higher than Karma Chameleon, B) it's mostly unknown and C) it's 5 minutes long, with a lot of instrumental breaks. But if you don't know the song, you should listen to it! It's a masterpiece and would have changed Culture Club's impression from a novelty act to a more serious musical group. 



ANYWAY...

Why do I like Karma Chameleon? I spent many hours singing this in my bedroom, so much so that I still remember the lyrics (mostly). I love the harmonica and the percussive a capella ending. Just a great fun song!

About my version - Boy, this sits in a difficult spot! Yet again, it's right where I would normally need to sing in a more Broadway/classical style. I resisted the urge to do so, and it works out with varying results. Also, there's a lot of words in a real short space! But it's still loads of fun to sing, and I would do it again in a minute for karaoke (just down a step, please!). 7.5 out of 8, mostly for the nostalgia!



I have 4 options for tomorrow, but if anyone has ideas for 1984, let me know!

No comments:

Post a Comment