Saturday, August 13, 2011

Birthday Countdown 1980

 "I was 22 by the time I started to sing rock, so at first I was very conscious of technique and I was overly technical. That proved to be inhibiting so it was a disadvantage until I began to sing intuitively. That’s the only way to sing rock – from your gut level feelings. It's the instinct that the best singers have." - Pat Benatar


When you think you me, rock music instantly comes to mind, right? 


Today's song was Pat Benatar's first big hit and peaked at #23 in 1980. A string of huge hits followed and she was at the top of the charts through most of the 80's. Since then, she has continued to record and also tours endlessly. Pat studied for an opera career, intending to attend Julliard as a coloratura soprano, but had a change of heart after high school. Her quote at the start of this post is so true!


Why do I like it? I'm not a fan of rock music as a whole - for me, Pat Benatar and the group Heart represent as much rock & roll as I care to hear. I love the background vocals on this song, and it's got a great beat.


About my version - My jeans jacket is so 80's lite rock that it kills me. Richard Marx, look out! The lyrics are really repetitive, and still I messed them up a bit. This is not a song I would normally sing, but it was super fun. I can see doing it again for karaoke after a drink or three. 7 out of 10 (83.6% A---+)






Tomorrow - The years available to do an ABBA song are running out, so tomorrow may be the day!

2 comments:

  1. #1 I am burning both of my Pat Benatar CDs in protest
    #2 Your dancing made the camera shake!

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL Sell them on eBay for $.01, you may as well make some money! Man shake (OOh can't do it!!

    ReplyDelete