Tuesday, August 2, 2011

It's a beautiful day in the neighborhood



    I get up early most mornings, whether I need to or not. I love that time after the sun rises but before Mike's alarm goes off - stolen moments...The day is new and full of possibilities, plus the light outside is still soft and beautiful. 



     Last night's dinner was inspired by my sister-in-law Janet. She recently posted on Facebook that she was making green beans and cornbread, and as I am easily influenced, I decided that we should do the same. Then I thought of a recent cookbook purchase, Vegetables from an Italian Garden, and looked to see what green bean dishes could be found in it. This cookbook is divided by seasons, and in the summer section were loads of green bean recipes. I picked one very close in ingredients to the Southern version prepared in my family and it turned out to be delicious! My mother made fried cornbread with an Italian twist (with Italian seasonings, fried in olive oil) and the two dishes together made a great summer meal. I don't have a link to the exact recipe, but this one is pretty close - just leave out the tomatoes and lemon juice (or not!). 

No comments:

Post a Comment