Sunday, August 7, 2011

Birthday Countdown 1974

The differences between yesterday's video and today's show why song choice is so important on shows like American Idol. Yesterday's song was a torture for me to sing and most likely for you to hear! Today's video is also the first and only, but fits my voice loads better. I'm sure with practice and a key change (as Dale correctly suggested) "Time In A Bottle" could become something I'd enjoy singing, but life is too short! A size 16 woman could squeeze into a size 6 dress from Cache, but what's the point when Lane Bryant is around the corner?

The Wiz, for those that are unfamiliar, is a musical version of the Wizard of Oz with an all-black cast. The stage show debuted in 1974, and a movie adaptation starring Diana Ross and Michael Jackson was released in 1978. The song "Home" is this versions's "Over The Rainbow" and has been sung by Diana Ross (of course) and Stephanie Mills (the original Broadway Dorothy) as well as the recent version from Glee.

Why do I like it? Great lyrics, a nice rangy melody - this can be sung very plainly in a Broadway style or a la R&B with tons of riffs. Also, any song with a note held to the end is for me!

About my version - As I am not an urban teenager lost in Oz, I went with a Broadway approach, but years of hearing the Stephanie Mills version subconsciously caused me to use a few of her tricks, which may or may not have worked so well. This was the first and only take, and while I messed up a word and had a funny note here or there, I was happy enough to call it a wrap. I'd sing this song again, although the need for a 40 year old white guy to sing it is virtually non-existent. This is my favorite video so far (which is not saying much) and I'd give it an 8 out of 10.



Tomorrow - it's either my favorite song of all time or the lone hit from one of my favorite singers.

No comments:

Post a Comment