Friday, August 19, 2011

Birthday Countdown 1986

Everytime I hear today's song, I think about working in Kentucky with my sister at the Chinese restaurant (but I can never remember the name!). The restaurant played this CD continuously, or so I recall. I also think of a Kentucky Hot Brown, which I first had at that same restaurant. So I like this song a lot LOL
Recipe at http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/foodnation-with-bobby-flay/kentucky-hot-brown-recipe/index.html
Sweet Love was Anita Baker's first big hit, and helped fuel my love of R&B, along with Tina Turner and the poppy lite-rock R&B of Whitney Houston. It's been covered and sampled many times over the tears, most recently by the rapper Drake in the song "Think Good Thoughts".

Why do I like it? I'm very fond of what is now called adult urban music, and Anita Baker is a prime example of that genre. Grown-up music with no "bitches" and "hoes", lyrics about real life - it's one of my favorite genres. Ledisi is a current favorite - here's her current song Pieces of Me:


About my version - I was lucky to find a competition edit of the backing track for this, as the actual songs repeats a bit and runs long. It still gets all the best parts in, but it's extremely low for me as originally performed. With a key change up (about half an octave), I would really enjoy singing this one. I'm sorta shocked that the lower notes are audible, because I certainly struggled to hear them and I was right there. Another song that is not exactly my vocal style, but I like my version enough for a 7.5 out of 10.



Tomorrow - Could be the day for one of my favorite singers, whose name starts with "C".....


2 comments: