Thursday, August 25, 2011

Birthday Countdown 1992

Cyndi Lauper is one of my top 5 favorite singers, and the one I've seen in concert the most. She's criminally underrated as a vocalist - most people recall her for being kooky, if they recall her at all, but she's really quite a brilliant singer.

The World Is Stone, originally from a French musical later translated into English, was released in 1992 and was a hit in several countries. The USA was not one of them, so the song maybe be more familiar to US audiences from Celine Dion's later recording. Here's Cyndi's version  (performed live):



Why do I like it? The melody swoops and glides along over a vaguely electronic orchestration, and the lyrics are poetic. This is one of my favorite Cyndi Lauper songs and perhaps one of her finest vocal performances, along with When You Were Mine, Who Let In The Rain and I'm Gonna Be Strong.

About my version - I've always wanted to sing this and now I now why - it's just a great song! I think this worked well for me, with the exception of lowering the ending ad-libs down an octave to avoid busting a vocal cord. I really like this - it's at the top of the list for me. 8 out of 10.



Tomorrow - Yet again, I have 8 options! Madonna is on the list....

No comments:

Post a Comment