Monday, August 15, 2011

Birthday Countdown 1982

Yippee - one of my favorite songs!

Tainted Love was first sung in the mid 60's by Gloria Jones. She did another version about 10 years later when the first recording was made popular by a UK DJ. A few years after that, the Soft Cell version was released and became a huge hit.

Why do I like it? It's an 80's disco Northern Soul combo, so musically it's exactly what I want to hear. The lyrics are over-the-top and the beat is killer.

About my version - It took me a few tries to get this one right-ish. The place it sits in my voice makes it easy to oversing, and the first few times I did just that. I scaled back by half and then half again and I think it's ok now. This is as pop as I can sing, which is still not quite pop enough but you do what you can. I managed to get all the words in and mostly right as well, thanks to the extra practice. I'd do this again in a minute - it's as fun to sing as anything has been. This one is high on my favorites list - 8/10.



Tomorrow - Culture Club!

2 comments: