Monday, August 29, 2011

Birthday Countdown 1996

I've been looking forward to singing Time To Say Goodbye since day 1 of this countdown. It's a song I've always liked but, due to the Italian lyrics being somewhat complex, have never tried to sing. Of course I've sung along but that's a different story.

This was a huge hit for Sarah Brightman and Andrea Bocelli worldwide. It still plays multiple times a day at the fountain show at Bellagio in Vegas, where I have boo-hooed more than once because of the spectacle and the song.

Why do I like it? I'm a big fan of the classical crossover genre, and also of Sarah Brightman.

About my version - Wow, that's a lot of Italians words! I get maybe 50% right, and there's a lot of icky notes. BUT - This reminds me of being a music major in college. For those that don't know, at the beginning of the term, you and your voice teacher go through bunches of songs looking for the right set to perform for juries (like finals) at the end of the term. Those first run-throughs are often little more than hot messes, but you know when something has potential. I feel like this song has potential for me to sing much better, with some practice and dialect work. In this early version, I'll give it a 4 out of 10, simply because I feel like there's a long way to go!



Tomorrow - Tell me what you want, what you really really want.............No, actually tell me in the comments!


1 comment: