Monday, August 8, 2011

Birthday Countdown 1975

As I said last post, I was torn between two songs for this year, so I did them both. Tell me which one you prefer in comments...

My favorite song of all time is Landslide by Fleetwood Mac - I just love everything about it. The other choice is Lovin' You by Minnie Riperton, which gets a bad rap for the cheesiness but is really a lovely song.

Why do I like it?  Landslide has great sentimental but not syrupy lyrics and a beautiful melody. Lovin' You has a great hook and is just about all Minnie Riperton is remembered for today. She died in 1979 at the age of 31, and I just know there were even greater things in her future if she had lived. Her daughter Maya Rudolph is a well-known comedic actor (SNL's Donatella Versace, the bride in the movie "Bridesmaids") and reminds me of her mother a lot.

About my versions - Landslide has been covered a million times, all more successful than this version. All the tracks I found online were too low for me to properly sing, and due to the range of the song, too high to sing up an octave higher. That didn't stop me from jumping the octave (and the shark) in the repeated chorus. I absolutely didn't mean to, it's something that just happens to me from time to time. It took me by surprise as much as it will you, but I made it work as best I could. Not a song I would sing again - I expect no one is saddened by that news - but I still love it. 6/10 (A+ LOL)
Lovin' You was slightly better - the key was far better but the lyrics suck and are so repetitive. I sang the upper register hook normally and not a la Mariah Carey, but don't think I didn't try it out. That's a video that would keep the mice away! This I would sing again, if the occasion arose - 7/10. Don't forget to leave a comment and let me know which you like best - talk about Sophie's choice!

Landslide

Lovin' You


Tomorrow - I have no idea! There's 5 "maybe" songs on the list, but none of them are jumping out. Any 1976 suggestions?

4 comments:

  1. I wonder where you learned those grade calculations...?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Definitely Lovin' You! 9.325 A+++. I will TEXX you my response to the Sophie's Choice prompt....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! You sing pretty well! I really suck! I like Landslide. I LOVE that song. Makes me cry every time I hear it. Beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jason - You know very well who taught us that method of grading, et les eglises et le frommage.

    Angie - thanks! Given the right song and the appropriate amount of practice time, I do ok - but these videos are more fun!

    ReplyDelete