Friday, August 26, 2011

Birthday Countdown 1993

Ok, so I broke a rule of this countdown - I'm repeating an artist twice! I will justify it by saying that the first Whitney Houston song I did was from her own CD, while this one is from the Bodyguard soundtrack, so it's different. Don't you sass me!  I actually had another song picked out but the only backing track I could find was so hideous that I refused to use it. It was like a tango version or something - very bizarre. Soooo...

I Have Nothing was a big hit, although not as big as I Will Always Love You. Luckily for all involved, I had sung that one before at a random karaoke night some place. I recall that it was a disaster, so this is a marginally better choice anyway.

Why do I like it? It's Whitney at her prime. By this time, she has stated that she was deep into her drug of choice (but not crack, as it is whack) , but it hadn't started to detract from her voice just yet. The's also more maturity than some of her earlier recordings.

About my version - It's the shortened competition cut version, so rejoice! I know I did. I'm particularly raspy this morning (is it allergy season already?), so this was a struggle. It's not dreadful, but it's far from perfect. I don't think I would sing this again unless large sums of money were involved. 5.8 of 10



Tomorrow - I could use some suggestions for 1994. I have 3 choices and they all suck LOL


No comments:

Post a Comment