Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Birthday Countdown 1977

Thanks to Mike, today's video will not feature a floating head! I literally do not watch these, I only listen to make sure I don't sound too hideous, so I had no clue that the camera was not catching my full glory, such as it is. I was using the cats' scratchy tower as a tripod, but today I used an actual tripod - imagine that! For an added treat, I am wearing grown-up clothes and not a Carnival Cruise T-shirt.

When I was a kid, we had an 8-track player - kids, ask your parents if you don't know what that is. My favorite 8-track cassette was a Barbra Streisand greatest hits collection - well, actually it was a sounds-like Barbra Streisand collection. I am not sure why we had the sound-alike instead of the real thing. Oddly enough many years later I met the singer of that very recording, Julie Budd, who is still performing. I listened to it for hours on end, which should have been a sign of many things to come. Up until I was 16 years old and started real voice lessons, most of what I knew about how to sing came from this and other actual Barbra recordings. For me, she's the best singer I have ever heard, and to this day remains my favorite (in a two-or-maybe-three-way tie).

Why do I like it? I'm genetically programmed for this kind of music, or I must have been an adult contemporary radio DJ in a past life. Plus, there's the held out note at the end again!

About my version - I really like this for my voice, and although I have never sung it by myself, I have certainly sang along with it a million times or more. This is the first take and while it's not perfect, I like enough about it to keep it. I would sing this again any time (just ask LOL), and probably will be doing it all day! My favorite so far - 8.1 out of 10.  Or as a certain teacher would grade it, 92.81%, A+++++.



Tomorrow - Get out your bell bottoms and the mirror ball, we're going to the disco!

2 comments:

  1. i rather enjoyed that! mjc made some good improvements for you, but what does he know about photography?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! I liked this one too, and it does look a lot better! Who knew?

    ReplyDelete